Let me preface this series with a caveat:
I read on the topic of cultivating cannabis, but I am not a professional
grower. I’m a serial hobbyist interested in self-sufficiency, and this is
an effort to document my growing endeavors, lessons learned, and the
successes and failures that are sure to accompany the amateur
Prior to this, I have had one successful harvest, and another mostly
botched harvest. The first was a Slurricane clone from a friend and, much
to my surprise, it turned out really well. It was grown indoors from the
beginning and was a smooth process (not without minor hiccups, of course).
The second was a clone of the first (my own doing) that went through the
ringer. Unlike my first plant, I tried this one outside and the rumors were
true: Oklahoma’s weather is not ideal for cannabis. Storms, pest problems,
bud rot, and more plagued this plant from the beginning. The bugs (damn
caterpillars!) and the humidity got to be too much, so I moved it into the
tent. Unfortunately, a powdery mildew problem prompted me to cut the
infected buds and harvest early. The flower of that plant has since been
turned into a tincture (I documented that process here).
This will be my first grow from seed, and I decided to go with two
autoflowering strains: Double Grape from Mephisto Genetics and CBD Crack
I wanted to start from seed this go-round because I feel it affords much
more control over the plant. I don’t have to wonder what its feeding
schedule might have been, whether or not its water was properly
Ph-balanced, or whether any diseases, mold, or otherwise might have been
present at the clone’s origin.
I was torn between using jiffy pellets and plain coco coir in a solo cup
for germination, and ultimately decided on jiffy pellets. I have a slight
aversion to using the paper towel method, which involves placing the seed
in between two moist paper towels and placing them in a dark and humid
environment. After a couple of days, the seeds germinate and you transfer
them to your growing medium. I don’t love the idea of an exposed taproot,
or the need for a transplant so early on in the process, even though I know
it’s done routinely.
Using the pellets is straight-forward enough: Use warm water to expand the
pellets, then place the seed inside the pellet about one knuckle deep. If I
were to place them in an empty solo cup, I thought it might be somewhat
difficult to remove the seedling without damaging it. Naturally, I made
these ridiculous solo cups to solve the problem:
At this point I decided that I’m not a big fan of these pellets for seeds.
They seem ideal for getting clones to root, but they’re wildly impractical
for seed germination. Even so, about a week later I had two seedlings!
This series will be updated periodically and as needed. Success or failure,
it will be documented.
And don’t forget:
If any of the terms used in this post are unfamiliar, check out our cannabis dictionary here !