Oklahomegrow Chronicles: Part 2, The One Blunt Plant

October 10 Jake Irl Park, M.S.

As it turns out, I really, really don’t know what I’m doing. Let this be a record of what not to do.

A day or two after the previous post was completed, the CBD Crack seedling took a fatal fall. I decided to cut my losses and focus on documenting and caring for a single plant. The young Double Grape seedling was transferred to a full, unmodified solo cup and started to develop its fan leaves shortly thereafter.

The Double Grape was placed in a 1:1 ratio of Fox Farms Happy Frog potting soil and perlite. The lights were set on for 20 hours and off for 4 hours under my 300w Viparspectra LED light. As you can see, there was already evidence of a significant nutrient deficiency.

Because this is an autoflowering strain, I assumed that the vegetative phase would entail extremely rapid growth. Imagine my disappointment when, after a couple of weeks, the plant grew only minimally, started to brown even more, and started to flower.

At this point I spent some time troubleshooting. My first thought was that we were dealing with a nutrient deficiency. I added a small dose of Fox Farms Bloom fertilizer solution, which seemed to help, but did not fix the issue.

It was at this time that I realized my fatal error. I double-checked the Ph of my water source, and I measured a Ph of 8.5! I was under the impression that I was using a water source that I had already Ph’d to 6.5, but that obviously wasn’t the case. The basic Ph locked the roots out from attaining any nutrients, which caused very stunted growth and a disappointed homegrower.

By the time I had properly diagnosed the issue, the plant was well into its flowering stages. I was discouraged and had little use for a plant that would produce a gram or two of flower. On top of that, my wife and I were in the process of moving, which really wrecks daily routines.

For the past couple of weeks, I’ve merely kept the plant alive and have used minimal nutrients. It’s uh... well, it’s still alive.

It’s easy to tell that this would have been a beautiful plant had I not flubbed a basic part of the process. I am going to try another round with the same strain as soon as I return from vacation. Before that happens, I need to do a little more research on autoflowering strains and nutrient cycles that might be specific to these strains. More importantly, I need to stay on top of the basics!

Let’s hope the next round brings more success.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter